Setting up your own mobile phone studio.

Today many of us are staying close to home which makes visiting a photographers studio not an option. We still need headshots for social media, resumes and other digital purposes, so let's take your selfie headshot to the next level.
Since it's my craft I still believe that a professional headshots makes a difference but if you can't or won't venture out from where you are then let's work on the next best solution.
What I'm going to show you is how I took my own headshot recently and that the environment doesn't need to be pretty. No one sees what else is in that room. The only thing that's important is you. Let's start with the final headshot here.
Equipment:
  • Mobile phone that takes photos. That means something with a high-enough resolution that you can take a clear sharp picture. 
  • Remote trigger release. You can find them for under $10 on Amazon. You'll find a lot of other uses for that device so it won't go to waste. Using the timer on your phone won't give you a chance to properly pose. You'll be running from the phone to where you are seated, smooth your clothes and hair, relax, sit etc. Go back and try again.
  • Light. Use what you have. A window, bright computer screen, other.
  • Tripod. Floor or table top. Leaning the phone against books isn't your best option. You may need to move it a couple times and that would be difficult.
Background:
  • Use something that is pleasing and not distracting. A bed sheet, blanket, wall etc.
  • It's helpful if you have a light or white surface that you can put below your face to reflect and to soften hard shadows. When needed I cover a piece of cardboard with foil for a quick reflector. 
The shoot:
  • I took 45 shots to get two final photos. I deleted 23 right away because the expression wasn't what I wanted, a bra strap was showing or I wasn't centered enough to crop for a headshot. 
  • Because I could see the phone screen I had a general idea of the pose.
Retouch:
  • Yes, the final is retouched. A tweak on wrinkles, erasing some hair sticking out on the right side, crop and done. The photo in the header is the original. 
This may sound easier that it will be. Take your time. Enjoy learning something new. If you need help or have question get in touch. Enjoy the process!
I hope this little tidbit is helpful.
Note: I'm working with a client right now to develop a virtual photoshoot for her headshot and business. If you'd like any information about that send me an email.
When you're ready for your next executive headshot or personal branding photo session search out the photographer that will best meet your needs and personality.  If you're in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area I'd appreciate a message from you to talk about how you want your headshot to reflect who you are.
Facebook Instagram LinkedIn Portfolio

Yours truly, Linda
480-353-9415, Linda@LindaKazares.com


PS I travel often to the San Francisco Bay area.  Please let me know what would be convenient for you and I will schedule an appointment the next time I'm there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone Else Is Posting A New Headshot. Are You?

How Pre-Event Planning will Enhance the Results of Corporate Event Photography Part 2 of 2

How many faces can you make? A headshot story!