Part 2 of 2 Thoughts for Better Visuals During a Virtual Meetings


This 2 part blog addresses the professionalism and your personal brand that you can project in a virtual meeting. Don't waste the opportunity or other attendees' time if you aren't going to respect who they and you are.

In Part 1 we discussed paying attention in a virtual meeting, dressing professionally, and staying in one place sitting still. The next 3 thoughts address the environmental setting.

  1. Backgrounds - Is it as difficult for you as it is for me to concentrate on the person when the background is like a storage facility? OK, that's harsh. But even though not all of us have the luxury of devoting a spiffy space to where we meet it wouldn't hurt to clean up the mess behind. Solution: have your logo, product photos, etc. (professionally shot if possible) printed by a retail printer and hang them up behind you. Make sure the photo size is large enough or close enough to your screen that your viewers can appreciate what's behind you. Optionally use the real props and have them arranged in the way you would display them in a store window. I have some ideas for you.
  2. Green Screens - Whoever thought the meeting green screen capability was a good idea probably hasn't had any really good ideas. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea but the technology just hasn't come along far enough to use during an online meeting. What I'm referring to is how poorly the individual looks when they're missing a limb or head because the camera or refresh speed of the video doesn't keep up with the movement. 
  3. Lighting - Use it! Overhead lights will make your eyes sink in, the light behind you will obscure your face, light under you will look like Halloween. Solution: Try facing a window for a big light, if you have a ring light use it or position yourself in front of any pleasing light that you can place to your right or left. I changed the background on my computer so it projects light onto my face.
Of course, I've made some of this faux pas. Please don't get defensive if anything hits home or if you think I think I know better. I don't. This is an accumulation of my experiences. Send me ideas that you think will improve the online video meeting experience. Enjoy the process!

PS - I do want to add a photo here that addresses 1 through 3 of the first blog. I was astounded and offended by how rude, sloppy, indifferent, and distracting this person was in a meeting for professional women. In addition to what you can see, she was also crocheting at the same time. This is a prime example of everything you can do wrong during a virtual meeting session. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone Else Is Posting A New Headshot. Are You?

How many faces can you make? A headshot story!

3 Bright Ideas For Better Visual Branding During Virtual Meetings